Monday, June 28, 2010

The Passing of a Governor

Yesterday my right-hand-man "Teapot" called and delivered the sad news that the former Governor of Texas, Dolph Briscoe Jr, passed away that morning. His was one of the first families of the country, the signature of one of his ancestors appearing on the Texas Declaration of Independence. One of the wealthiest men and one of, if not the, largest land-owners in Texas he served as the 41st Governor from 1973 to 1979. His family and my own have been good friends for three generations. For several years I went to school with his grandsons and my first 'sleep-over' was at their home. Even as babies we played together. I only met the Governor, known affectionately as "Big Daddy" a few times while staying at the home of his son, Dolph Briscoe III, but despite our having very different political opinions (he a lifelong Democrat -though a conservative one like most in Texas- and me an ardent reactionary in a family of GOP supporters) I could not imagine anyone ever having an un-kind word for him. When having dinner with him and his family he was always gracious, friendly and took care that I did not feel like an outsider. Governor Briscoe was that rare sort of man who was powerful, influential and yet without enemies. He got along with everyone and he and his late wife, his son and his wife, are the most down-to-earth and thoughtful people one could ever hope to meet. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and all his many friends. Texas has lost one of its most genteel leaders and a great friend. +Rest In Peace Your Honor...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...